Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Our Elk Pictures

Fawns! Probably Twins!
Fawns and Moms!
Nap time!
This is the Aggressive one! The picture was taken from the inside!
Resting!
Out the front window of the RV!
Out the front window of the RV!
Fawns at play!

Between Yellowstone NP, Teton NP, and Jasper NP we have seen many elk. It is calving time in Jasper and the park employees warned everyone that the cows get pretty aggressive this time of year. We did get some pictures of a few calves with their moms and a few that were just relaxing around the campground. There is a herd that apparently spends a good deal of time in the campground. I have some pictures out of my front window on the RV.

The day we were leaving I was outside taking care of the plumbing when I heard a noise behind me. I turned around and twenty feet away was this beautiful cow elk. I said hello in a nice quiet voice just before she charged me. I ducked behind this tiny tree that was near the RV as she continued to be very aggressive toward me. She would jump forward then retreat a little, each time getting a little closer. I waited for a minute until she decided to move away. When she was about forty feet away, I went back to the business of plumbing. When I looked up she was coming at me again. This time I decided that inside the RV was safer than behind a four inch tree.

There is one picture of this unfriendly elk. When I went back outside I saw a young couple walking by in the direction of the elk. I told them what had just happened and cautioned them not to get too close. About a minute later I looked across the campground and there they were behind two trees with the same elk in their face about three feet away. She eventually decided to wonder off but I think they both had to take care of their own plumbing problems after their encounter.

All of these pictures were taken in the campground but we did see deer and elk in other parts of the park.

Enjoy.




No comments: