Friday, May 23, 2014

The World's Largest Ball of Twine


Yesterday we Boogied to Lawrence Kansas. The GPS had us on some strange back roads but the trip was pretty much uneventful. Last night we had rain and trains all night long.

Bad storm coming?


It's OK!


 Beautiful sky. The rain wasn't bad at all!


Today was a very special day. We left Lawrence and headed for Cawker Kansas. This is where the worlds largest ball of twine is located. OK, I know what your thinking, but you haven't had this on your bucket list for 50 to 55 years like I have. When I was a teenager I read about this place and just added it to one of the places I wanted to visit.

Eileen of course was unaware of todays visit until we got off of I70 and headed north. I think she said something like why are we getting off here, are you making a mistake. That's when I had to reveal our destination. The City of Cawker, isn't, but my curiosity is now satisfied. We did, in fact, have the opportunity to add twine to the ball. Eileen went first which made this the highlight of her day. I had called ahead three months ago to make sure that someone was available to show us the ball. I talked to Linda Clover who's owns a small Inn in the town and basically takes care of the Ball. She is a very nice lady and when we pulled up to the ball she was waiting for us. Mark and Katie had called her earlier in the day to make sure she was available.

We all had an opportunity to add twine to the ball bringing the weight to 19,906 lbs. Linda actually weighs the twine that is added and keeps track of the weigh on her computer. Although it was raining a little it was an interesting visit. I'm "Living the Dream" even if it's only a little one.

My Bucket list is much lighter tonight as we rest in Russell Kansas. Tomorrow we head to Golden Colorado for Memorial Day Weekend. If you want to know more go to http://kansastravel.org/balloftwine.htm




After our additions and many others since 1986, the ball weighs 19,906 lbs.



 

 Linda Clover helps Eileen tie the new twine to the ball!

Look at her roll that twine!

 
What Moves! 
 
Mark went next!


 
 Go Kathie Go!



My Turn!


 The end of the roll. 19,906 lbs.
Now I tie the knot to complete the loops!
 Happy Campers!



Protected from the rain!

Not too busy. We park on the main street!
 

No comments: